Everybody loves the chicken that KFC sells, but have you ever thought about the gravy they use? The one you can find in their famous bowls and cannot get enough of? It is a one-of-a-kind that is loved by the people who do not order their chicken all the time! However, if you are feeling a bit adventurous, you are bound to pair the gravy with the fried chicken!
But what kind of gravy does KFC use in their famous bowls? That may be a secret but we have managed to get a close copy of the same sauce that you can have at KFC! The secret lies in the stock! So, let’s start with our copycat recipe of the KFC gravy!
What is the KFC Gravy?
Have you ever thought about how much is a famous bowl at KFC and why is it so expensive? The secret to this question is the special KFC gravy that binds it all together and brings you the taste you need in the bowl. If you have had that bowl, it carries potatoes, fried chicken, and corn topped with the delicious gravy. It may not be your first choice at KFC but it is definitely one of the best things to try there, especially if you are looking for something unique!
How to Make the KFC Gravy?
Just like the question of how to make KFC coleslaw is asked again and again, the KFC gravy is another request that is often asked. Like the KFC coleslaw, you know that the KFC gravy is second in line to get fame and forces curiosity to run around people’s minds about their secret ingredients. Of course, the fried chicken remains the winner.
After much research, we found that the copycat recipe of the KFC gravy was easy to replicate. As we said, it is a popular demand so people have really put their heads together on this. The one thing that was common in these recipes was the use of chicken and beef broths. Many experts call it the secret behind KFC’s gravy. Hence, we created the perfect replica just so you can make it at home!
After all, with the high prices running around, it is better to stay at home and cook copycat recipes that taste the same as the original! Why is KFC so expensive anyway? It does boggle your mind but check out the recipe so you can cool your minds!
What Do You Need to Make the KFC Gravy?
Here is a list of all the ingredients so you can run to the local store if needed.
- Bouillon Cubes (Chicken and Beef Stock Cubes) – This is the foundation of the sauce. The chicken cubes are the star of the show but the beef stock cubes are the sidekick that your main character needs for the plot to thicken.
- Hot Water – To help lay the base for the cubes.
- Flour – This is needed to thicken the gravy but you can omit it if want your gravy to be light.
- Butter – You can either use unsalted or salted, based on your personal preferences. However, if you do use salted butter, make sure you reduce the amount of salt in the seasoning.
- Onion Powder/Garlic Powder, Salt, and Pepper – This is all for seasoning and can be put as per your taste. Some people do not prefer the black pepper but it is the essence of the sauce.
How Much Do You Need of Everything?
- Chicken stock cube and beef stock cube (1 each)
- Hot water (565 ml but you can use it as needed to dissolve the cubes)
- 4 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp of flour
- 1/2 tsp onion powder/garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of fine black pepper
- Salt as needed.
Step-By-Step Guide to Make the KFC Gravy!
- Boil the water and then put the stocks in it to dissolve them.
- Take another pan and then put butter in it.
- Let it melt and then add the flour.
- Mix it well until combined.
- Pour in the water with stock cubes into the butter and flour mixture.
- Stir it nicely.
- Add the seasoning (garlic powder/onion powder, salt, and pepper) as needed. Taste while you stir to get the right amount of seasoning.
- Let the gravy thicken. It can take about 15 minutes.
- That’s all. Pour it on fried chicken or mashed potatoes and enjoy the delicious sauce!
What Combinations Can You Try with the KFC Gravy?
You can use it for all kinds of pairings and enhance the flavor of your meal with this amazing gravy! Here are some of the pairings that people have loved. Take a look.
- Beef and Chicken Roast – If you want your chicken or beef to have that extra saucy flavor, then you need to pour gravy all over it. Often, roasts are dry and this would just help combine the flavors together and moisten the texture of the roasts.
- Mashed Potatoes – If you want the exact replica of the KFC famous bowl, then you should add the gravy where it deserves to be; with mashed potatoes.
- Fried Chicken – if you want to try something different but want the taste of KFC to hit your tastebuds, then mix the famous fried chicken and the popular gravy together and see how it goes!
- Steamed Vegetables – If you are a vegetarian or want your veggies to be enhanced in their flavor, then you can also add gravy to them. You can use either fried veggies, boiled, or even steamed.
- Beverage and Fries – You could also use it as a dipping sauce for fries, and then take the beverage bucket to go to make it a whole midnight snack! What is a beverage bucket at KFC? It is a bucket filled with your favorite drink!
- Steak – Steak does not go alone. It needs its sides or at least a powerful sauce to make it shine. You can try this famous KFC gravy and indulge in the killer combo that would come out of it!
- Meatballs – The meatballs often have gravy with them. What if you mix the KFC gravy with the meatballs? Doesn’t it sound interesting? Try it yourself.
- Grilled Chicken – You can also try it with the simple grilled chicken if you do not want a lot of calories. Does KFC have grilled chicken? No, you will have to make some at home.
- Bread – Last but not least, the bread is a simple but effective pairing option that you can try with KFC gravy. If you feel like taking something light for the evening or something to go as a side with your dinner, this would be your best combo!
But what is KFC sauce if the KFC gravy is this recipe? KFC sauces are dipping sauces that are available in different choices like honey mustard, BBQ, and ranch to name a few.
That’s all on how to make the KFC gravy sauce at home. It is one of the easiest recipes to cook and does not take more than 20 minutes. Plus, the ingredients are simple and affordable. However, if you still feel like going out and trying the famous KFC bowl, you don’t have to worry about prices. There are always some deals and saving tools like the KFC Coupons present to help you with a discounted purchase. You can even buy in bulk if you do not feel like cooking tonight! But how to reheat kfc chicken and can you do it? Of course, as long as you eat it within a specific time duration, the KFC won’t lose its taste!
Frequently Asked Questions
The ingredients are simple, water, gravy powder, and the secret ingredient, both chicken and beef stocks. They are also known as the bouillons and can be found in any local store.
It is brown gravy that is put on top of the famous KFC bowls to add more flavor to the chicken and potato. The gravy blends them all together with a nice taste.
No, it is not vegetarian. There are many ingredients used in the KFC gravy sauce that are not suitable for vegetarians like chicken and beef stocks.
Yes, they make their own gravy with special ingredients. You cannot find them online as they are a guarded secret but many websites have a copycat recipe of the famous KFC gravy that you can make anytime at home.
Kay Kerr and her husband Jack are the masterminds behind the KFC gravy that is still used to this date all around the country. They are also the proud owners of multiple locations of KFC in the United States.